Monday, October 31, 2005

Inspiration

Every once in a while you see something truly inspiring in the out of doors. Usually it's a dramatic vista, a wildlife sighting or an emerald blue lake. Recently however, I've come to realize that the most inspiring experiences come from the people that you meet.

Two weekends ago I was camped out at Coast Camp in Point Reyes National Sea Shore. About 30 minutes after I reached camp I saw some undeniable thru-hikers passing by. It was Gottawalk, a couple at the very tail end of the first continuous American Discovery Trail hike. Just getting to meet them was so exciting that it made my trip.

They seemed to be in a little bit of a surreal state. While happy to be finishing they seemed a little sad that the journey was over. The two were "sneaking in" a day ahead of schedule without the planned fanfare. They couldn't get a permit for camping so they were planning on sleeping in the parking lot and then being woken up at 3:30am for a 5am TV interview on the beach. Understandably, they wanted to finish the last mile and decline my offer of a campsite.

I'd like to commend them for an awesome journey. They're truly inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home